Japan got decimated with a tsunami. We didn’t. That’s not fair.
Millions of babies around the world die from famine and lack of clean water every year. Mine didn’t. That’s not fair.
I complain because every time I turn around, there is a mountain of clothes to wash. Other people don’t have anything more than the clothes on their back. That’s not fair.
Here are 29 other ways I have benefitted from life not being fair:
1. I did not die when I went whitewater rafting in Class V rapids, the boat went down and I dislocated my shoulder.
2. I have a healthy son who is the light of my life.
3. I had the courage to leave Chicago. And start over.
4. I know what love is.
5. I have never personally experienced domestic violence.
6. I have never lost a child to war.
7. I have never personally experienced racial prejudice.
8. My parents did not abandon me in an orphanage.
9. I was an adult before I lost my parents.
10. I’ve been stupid enough to drive after drinking but lucky enough that I never hurt anyone.
11. All of my mammograms have come back clear.
12. I was born in the U.S.
13. I was able to pay my bills this month.
14. I have health insurance.
15. I did not hit my son that time I pulled in the garage and didn’t see him standing there against the wall.
16. My plane has never crashed.
17. I have a home that brings me joy and a payment we can afford without stress.
18. I belong to an amazing book club.
19. I hung around with some very bad people when I was younger but nothing really bad ever happened to me.
20. I’ve had MS for 12 years and you would never know it by looking at me.
21. I’ve had a car and a driver’s license since I was 16.
22. I started getting paid to ride horses when I was 14.
23. I grew up in a safe, beautiful place where I could explore outdoors.
24. I spent the last two weeks of my mom’s life with her and was there to hold her hand for her final breath.
25. I have a supportive husband who is fine with me working my own schedule and making less money so that I can be the parent I want to be.
26. My inlaws are loving.
27. I had a father who taught me that people are more important than things.
28. I have lifelong relationships with girlfriends.
29. I have a sister I love who understands my family’s own particular brand of insanity.